WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW FIRST
The research t3e Group involves a team of very dynamic and autonomous student researchers. Each trimester, the applications of more than fifty Canadian and international students are submitted. We cannot meet this demand. Even before making an application, be sure to be in the upper 15% of your current class. If this is the case, we will be happy to analyze your application package and discuss projects with you.
Finally, you must prepare early. You should state your interest preferably a year before the planned start of your studies. Contact us in September. Applications received in October-November will received a decision on acceptance of t3e in January. Application for the doctorate at ETS should be done in January or February and you must prepare your research topic between March and June. Do not forget to apply for a student visa, if need be.
Please note that knowledge of French is an asset to study in Montréal. You can write your thesis in English or French. Finally, if your employer or your home country offers financial support, your project will be facilitated and the Group will offer additional funding for your studies. If you do not have personal funding and your application is accepted by our scientific coordinator, you will receive a scholarship.
HOW TO EXPRESS YOUR INTEREST?
HOW TO PREPARE YOUR t3e APPLICATION PACKAGE ?
- You need to write a formal letter from 20 to 30 lines in French or English indicating consistently what are your ambitions, qualifications and the desired degree. Indicate also the skills that allow you to apply.
- You must attach a scanned copy of your latest official or unofficial transcript of undergraduate or graduate studies. Your batchelor grades, if any.
- You must attach a resume up to two pages in French or English.
- You must have an evaluation report form "Rapport sur le candidat"completed by at least one respondent. Who will send its evaluation by email with CC to you. Make sure that your sponsor has sent us his report.
NOTE: Only those who submitted complete applications will be contacted.
WHEN TO SUBMIT MY APPLICATION?
Students from abroad are asked to begin the procedures a year before the date of registration, depending on visas for study. Submit preferably your four documents constituting the application package in October or November. It is also required to begin work on the project definition (Chapter 1 of future memory or thesis) and the literature review (future chapter 2) before the first registration. Submit a document of 20 pages in July.
NOTE: In all cases, financial aid will not begin until the completion of a preliminary document that defines the project and an overview of relevant literature on the topic (this document is the future chapters 1 and 2 of your thesis).
HOW TO BE ADMITTED IN TEAM t3e
- After you have submitted your application to the scientific coordinator, wait to hear if he is willing to supervise you. This process is independent of admission to ETS. Of course, you can register to the ETS without being part of t3e.
- It is essential to meet a member of the Group (If you're in Quebec or if it can be done at a scientific congress) or to discuss via Skype.
- In the case of a favorable evaluation and if you meet the prerequisite conditions, make an application for admission to PhD;
HOW TO REGISTER TO ETS?
- You must first have applied for admission to the ETS and have received a letter confirming a conditional admission in a given trimester.
- You need to coordinate your arrival with the scientific coordinator of the Group.
- You must visit the "Bureau du registraire"to present your passport, your Study Permit and Certificate of Acceptance of Quebec.
- You must have an health insurance or pay the premium for an health insurance for foreign students at the ETS or show proof of membership of the RAMQ.
- You must sent original institution transcripts or certified copies of the original.
- You must submit your original birth certificate.
- You should ultimately proceed with the registration using the interactive system Cheminot available on the website under the heading etsmtl.ca interactive kiosks.
- Finally, you need to celebrate your arrival with team t3e!
ABILITIES REQUIRED FOR SUCCESS
For master's or doctorate in the Chair T3E, we can synthesize the features ranked according to the following list:
- Excellent training prior.
- A strong writing skills in French and English.
- A considerable autonomy and great initiative.
- Leadership, patience, diplomacy and teamwork.
- An excellent judgment.
- Great ability to adapt to change.
- The desire to eventually start a business related to the field of energy.
It may seem curious to read such a title heading in this document, but it is important to clarify what is expected from you during your studies.
- A patent. We do not expect that the projects necessarily lead to a patent, but is encouraged.
- One or more scientific publications in peer-reviewed journal. This is the most important deliverable because it will affect the financial position of the Group and the quality of supervision of students who follow you. At least one for the master and three for the Ph.D.
- One or more scientific publications in conference proceedings with peer review. It is also a major deliverable, but whose incidence is less than for the journal. Group t3e can pay for the costs of participation (transportation, hotel, registration) for many international conferences as publications accepted in journals with peer review.
- A technical report. If you participate in a research activity that requires this type of contract production.
- A master's thesis or doctoral dissertation. The drafting of this document starts at the beginning of studies and is expanding throughout the study. The ETS offers two formats of thesis (Classic or articles). Students who work for the t3e Group MUST write a thesis by articles. This type of thesis has "articles included in the document body". The thesis by articles requires a minimum of three articles which may be submitted in French or English (Art. 13.16.2). Chair T3E requires that at least one of these articles is written in English. It is therefore possible for students to: (1) Prepare the front matter and introduction (Chapter 1), the literature review (chapter 2) and the general conclusion in French and include articles in English in the body of the document, or (2) Write the entire thesis in English.
COST OF STUDIES
See this page first: http://www.etsmtl.ca/Futurs-etudiants/Baccalaureat/Cout-financement/Combien
In general, the cost of education is the lowest in Canada and by far lower than in the USA.
DURATION OF STUDIES
The length of study planned from the first quarter of registration is 36 months at the PhD (9 quarters). Sometimes an additional quarter is planned.
Moreover, it is necessary to clearly define the project and start the literature research on the topic before registering for the first time.